Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ok so here it tiz y'all

As I sit here at almost 5am on a Monday night (I think) I have a chance to catch up on mah blog. Obviously the other guys in the Shibs (you didn't give any feedback now did you... So if you have it GIVE IT DAMMIT) (psst... we like it) have been bloggin away. All good. I, and you for that matter, would likely rather hear from them (cause they rock) than me. Well too bad. The PhotoTag has gotten some of the pics done and is now catching up. I'll give you the take on the past gigs and notes, and then try to blog more often so you get my take. Not promised but will get there. Sorry about the back tracking and the ADD like writing.

Day 3 Blackberry Sux and TN is kewl

After spending the morning in an attempt to get arrested for tap dancing at the UT campus, we learned that this weekend is homecoming… Rock. Tomorrow night will hopefully rock.

In today’s gloom news… sex over 60 is like shooting pool with a rope. Sorry Honey… I only have 29 years left.

The blackberry bug has struck me once again. People can call but I really can’t answer. I’m so freaking glad that I have paid 400 bucks for a POS PDA to fail me when I’m on tour. Ehhh worse things could happen....

Colin (C-Boogie) has just finish his political policy paper on the strife that is currently striking Georga. He feels that is is not the sole responsibility of the US to arm and insure rogue nations. Doing so will only serve to deplete the national resources that we so insensely need at home and continue to esclate already terse relations with the Russians.

It’s 7:34 in the PM and we are chillin at the French Quarter CafĂ©. We are playing second of 3 bands and jamming for about an hour tonight. When we showed up it looked as if we would be playing for a gathering of dust mites, but the granny’s that are blue tooth enabled are starting to come out in force. We should have a decent crowd by later tonight when we go on. As we later discovered, this gig sucked. See other blogs. Never the less, I can say we played in Nashville, which is about what you get paid, how you get treated, and the people are generally just there to, well, "make it" Hopefully, we have a better experience the next time we play here


Blackberry has redeemed themselves by given me a schweet bright red World edition blackberry to ease my pain of their sub-standard firmware on the 8330. They have appeared to confirm the bug that a reported months ago.... Thanks to the kindess of TN Verizon Workers.

We decieded to graze here for the night… We all ordered Salt, Colin hooked up the Morton Special, I went with Rock, and Andy dined on Deep Fried. Actually I got the Alligator, which seemed like being adventureous and when I ordered it the waitress said you want WHAT? Always good… Well it wasn’t worth the 11 bucks and I think the alligator is still alive… But I have enough salt to fill the softener at home for a month.

It’s 7:41 in the PM and the the savory salt that we all had for dinner is one upping all of us. I’m running through pics while the warm up band plays. If I had to place them I would say blue olives… Wannabes. The Olives Kick Ash and these guys just seem to be well be, Olives you have them, just don't play the French Quarter in Nashville. It’s amazing playing here but the feeling here right now is one of we are all better than you band. No worries though… The SHB is better than they are… LOL

After rocking the house we got the heck out of there. GAK A bit of my music soul died tonight. In the sense that all the bands "" that played were hell bent on collecting money from the audience. Call me a purist, but if you have to strongly suggest that someone give you $$ for playing, you doing it wrong.

I have to give a shout out to Ashley (buy the new CD she is singing the soulful backups) and her boyfriend. They put us up for the night, delt with all the shit that went down at the French Quarter, and put food in our mouths. Such good people in a town of sharks. Thank you both, it won't be forgotten, and you have a place with us if you ever need one in mad-town.

The next night saw us heading to Knoxville and jammin at Lou's Cafe. As you may have gathered from other blogs, they were the best of the best. Leo, John, and for that matter everyone that came out. I couldn't have been more overwhelmed or felt more at home... unless Jillian and the mad-town gang were there. Some pics are up already, but I'm too tired to post more to this blog right now. The Ships play for 10 like we do for 50 like we do for `10,000. And we played for an amazing crowd on this night. Wise up y'all. and get to Leo's. Amazing Food, Amazing People, and just one of the best places we have been in, shit, I have been in, in my life. You guys rock, and keep diggin, you will get there, just remember the SHB when you pack the place :)

So off we go to the New French Quarter. And again, from the other blogs, you get the idea. We worked the streets for 3 hours before the gig. Least we can do... Funny part? Fire again. See our earlier blogs, never the less, trucks axes, and the smell of smoke... Nice. We ran into Yoko (her Ashville name) in the process of handing flyers to hippies and hobos (seriously). C-Boogie is now Nico, until we leave Ashville. Very Very Very Very Granola town. Hippies (and I consider myself one) but just non-working hobo hippies everywhere. Wild. So we show up, set up, cause we were told to play 2:30 hours, then John Wilkes Booth shows up, and take it from any president... that can't be good. No biggie, we were told we were it but hey, work with it right? After learning that they wanted to "get out of here right away" we proceeded to run sound for them, (thanx Ryan), and after soundcheck, just like a nice band would, they left.... only to start 30 minutes late.... Thanks guys. Regardless the classless moment of the night was from there "fans"... When they were cheering (4 of them) to play an encore, and they said the had to leave... we got a Fuck Them from the fans. Nice....

Want Nicer? Somewhat of a theme has developed... and it's breathtaking... On this night, and not only this night... when we started playing, the staff started calling friends.... add in a Movie Fest of people that were friends with someone at the bar by the second set we had 6 times the people in the bar. Plus, I was able to meet some of Andi's Fam. Class people, but look at Sharp, why wouldn't they be class.

So now you are up to today... And Eddie's Attic. Bar that is made famous by John Mayer as where he basically started it all. Off day for the Shibs, but not for Lucas Cates and his band which ROCKED the place. I took some pics which you will see eventually. Right now this post is far too long and I'm far too tired.

BUT I do have some thoughts of my own... and a "here's my take" shot at all of this.. So prep yo self.. and here it goes....

Over the duration of this trip, I have met and continue to meet such kind hearted people. All Races all Walks.. just people. I will openly admit its damn fuckin tough to choke back the tears when I think of what Dad wanted me to do, and what I am doing. I, wait not I, We have taken the stage on 5 consecutive nights outside of tonigh, and done something that, for me, is sur-real. We have made people feel our music. Alot of gigs left.. which I can't wait for... but this is just too damn cool.

So, I should really end this freaking blog. I'm tired... Very Tired... but wouldn't trade this for anything. As a band we are tighter than you all could ever imagine... every gig we grow and the sound is beyond words... As people we have grown by dealing with the adversity, and the highs and the lows, and as for me... somewhere, in some place... I hope a Rabbit smiles. Because despite missing Jillian beyond words, this is one helluva ride....

Til tomorrow.....

PS... sorry for the poetry