Wednesday, February 25, 2009

NYC, Majestic, and me

Holla y'all,

I haven't blogged for NYC, nor have I been a good boy in terms of droppin words on ya.. so I thought I would catch up with you all quick like tonight.

So the trip to NYC was bitter sweet. Cleveland was kewl because of the fam coming to catch us... Grandma was amazing but I think I said that... Musicians take heed... Wilberts will RIP YOU OFF.

PA was amazing. The people, the place (Local Beat) the jam. Like previous blogs have said... 4 encores... need I say more. I tip my hat and look forward to being back there again.

NYC... What can you say. I really can't say anything. But you know I will :)

The last year or so has been amazing. On many many levels. Fat Todd speaks of the family... Harks speaks of the un-spoken family. I only hope to add to that. With all things considered, this ride for me started with a Moose-A-plooza, a recording session, and a great group of guys. Next time I open my eyes, I'm staring at ground zero, stepping on a stage(s) that I only dream of, and makin music with some of the best song writers, musicians, percussionists around.

Amazed and Humbled... Period.

I know I write alot about my pops, almost to the point of wierd obsession... but if you knew Rabbit when he was around, you know why he plays such a role in my soul these days. He was the last to leave the bar and the first to boo when the band stopped... right next to me for the whole ride... In his dying days he told me to get the fuck out of race cars and start playing music... Which leads me to the ironic and soul clinching twist to NYC. Ryan Sharp got signed up for the open jam, which I was just gonna go play some blues but after talking to Harks he was in... Harks and I debuted a new song.. and rocked Folsom hard. Stuff harp player dreams are made of... 1 guitar and a dumb guy with a harp... Lovin it. Afterward I got the guts up to ask Bryan (guy hosting the jam and one HELLUVA guitar player) if I could jam one song with him... Hell I'm in NYC, this guy rocks the blues licks and I was a touch feelin it :) only other time I asked that of anyone was a time at Tully's II when Dad was still around... wanted to hear Stormy Monday with Cool Front... his fav... and thanks to the Front, he got to hear it. Generally I have 3 rules to my playing. 1) Never assume you are going to play. 2) Never invite yourself up. 3) don't play if you are going to make the band sound like shit... But I digress.. I asked to jam with these guys and they said well likely not going to do little wing but here's a little something. They started rocking and what happened was..... Stormy Monday. Song Done. Somewhere he smiles.

With all this blabber said, and all these useless words, every night every one of us throws our souls to the wind, hopeing that someone catches us, feels us, believes like we do, that you can feel the joy and the pain that comes from our drums, our bass, our guitars, our voices, and our harp... and just for a minute you forget about everything, tomorrow, today, yesterday, and just enjoy the ride.... I know I am... and I'm humbled to be a part of it.... Thanks Shibs

Til next time.....

Mouse